Monday 3 October 2016

Communicating science when we don't really understand it

(or how the heck do we explain what we actually know about epigenetics)


I was recently part of a Tweetchat [#EPNtalks](see here for @EpigenomicsNet storify of the chat)

I threw something out there that I have been thinking about for about five years.

Where is Genetics/Genomics/Epigenetics 's Stephen Hawking- or probably more accurately for today's kids our Neil Tyson DeGrasse?

N.B. While I love the Emperor of All Maladies, that is not the direction I envision with all due respect to Dr.Mukherjee.

I find it really frustrating that with all the great communicators that I know are in the field, we do not have a book that is targeted to the general public.

It is a frustration that I think has stunted the field, allowed a bunch of illogical mumbo-jumbo to replace clear concise analogy. 

In my mind there are a lot of reasons that we have gotten here...some of them are acceptable like the fundamental changes in funding levels that have been seen world-wide in the last decade or so. There are also some that I find completely unacceptable.

Here is a short list of unacceptable reason why "our" ability to communicate genetics/epigenetics sucks:
  1. We (scientists) don't actually understand much beyond their little patch of grass. I think we force a ridiculous level of specialization on trainees and students.
  2. We don't have well thought out experiments. In the last five or so years we have gone with this notion that you can collect data and find clear real, unbiased answers without a hypothesis.
  3. We  don't train Ph.D students to analyze (strongly related to #2). It is common fort MolBio, Genetics or Biochem graduate students to NOT take a statistics course prior to starting their Ph.D. 
  4. We have fallen in love with jargon. Getting through a Science or Nature paper nowadays is a horrendous effort in acronyms and 5 syllable words. 
  5. We have left public relations to the universities as we are too busy - doing science- to explain.  
I have put some thought into this and I have outline a potential book or probably better as a video series. I have attached it below. As always if you have any comments please add them below or email me directly at crwynder AT gmail  DOT com
Script for a potential script and book on epigenetics
My script/book idea for a book focused on how the machinery of Epigenetics relates to the real world examples of diversity and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment